Sunday 17 May 2015

Mental Health Awareness Week

"To the person in the bell jar, blank and stopped as a dead baby, the world itself is the bad dream"

- Sylvia Plath


Something you may not know (hell, I didn't know until yesterday) - the 11th of May to the 17th of May is/was Mental Health Awareness week. 

As I posted recently, I'm all out of things to say. I'm not really in a writing mood. However, I am very knowledgeable about a great number of mental illnesses - I think that's the case with a lot of people nowadays - so if there's any you want to know more about, comment below. I'll write a blog post with info on what you ask for in the near future. That'll raise awareness and understanding, hopefully. If any of my fans (do I have fans?) would like to share their experiences with mental illnesses, you can comment below or I could include you in a blog post if you'd like. I'm nice like that.


I really wish I'd known about this in advance so I could've had something planned for Monday. Damn.

Still, mental health is ALWAYS relevant. We all have a brain and any one of us could be pulled under when we least expect it so it's important to know what you're dealing with.


Here's some helpful UK numbers to call if you are feeling overwhelmed or anxious or depressed or suicidal:
CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably) - 0800 58 58 58 (helpline for young men over 15 years old. Open from 5pm to 12am).
ChildLine - 0800 1111 (helpline for children and young people. Free and confidential. Open 24 hours).
Get Connected - 0808 808 4994 (helpline for people under 25. Open 1pm to 11pm).
Lifeline (N. Ireland) - 0808 808 8000 (free, confidential crisis response helpline. Open 24 hours).
Papyrus HOPELine UK - 0800 068 4141 (offers help and advice. Open 10am to 10pm on weekdays, 2pm to 5pm on weekends).
Samaritans - 0845 790 9090 (confidential helpline. Open 24 hours).


If you're outside the UK, I'm sorry for the exclusion but I'm sure Google will have some results for you. If, like me, you can't use phones due to deafness or anxiety or whatever reason, there's also a great deal of online help groups. However, if you're seriously worried about your mental health, do seek help from your GP. They can refer you to professionals who can help you get better.

You are not alone. You are not ignored. I am one of many people who care about you and want you to live life to the fullest extent you can without feeling trapped and empty and all the other awful feelings that come with mental illnesses. You matter.

Just look after yourself, OK? 

1 comment:

  1. You're right, mental health is always relevant. I don't think there will ever come a time when it isn't relevant.

    I like how Girlguiding UK have chosen this week to open applications for peer educators to help develop a new topic for the 4Peer Education scheme. It's fitting really when it's all about mental illness, and how if affects people of all ages. I think it's important to educate people from a young age, so I think it's great that this resource, when complete, can be taught to young members between 7 and 14.

    ReplyDelete