Tuesday 25 October 2016

Asexual Awareness Week - Acephobia or How I Learned That People Are Super Mean and You Should Probably Ignore Them.

"I'm too asexy for my shirt, too asexy for my shirt, so asexy it hurts!"

- Blue, inspired by Right Said Fred



Alright, alright, don't look at me like that. I know. I know it's been nearly a year since I last posted and I know you probably thought I'd never post again but you were wrong. I'm just super lazy and unmotivated. But I'm feeling OK. Not too tired. And just as well because it's Asexual Awareness Week everybody! *cheers*


So Blue is back to depress you with a whole bunch of personal anecdotes (and screenshots) of acephobia. It's like homophobia but against asexuals because some people are surprisingly upset that others don't feel sexual attraction. Sucks to be them, I guess.


OK, so, because it's AAW, I should probably spread awareness. I am by no means an expert, all I have is my own experience. For information, look at AVEN (Asexual Visibility & Education Network) and if that's not enough, check out Asexual ACES on Facebook. I can't provide links because I'm technologically inept but you're smart people and I am confident in your abilities to use a search engine. Anyway, with no further ado, here's acephobic screenshots to show that actually, people are against people not having sex. Vehemently so. Warning: Mean/idiotic people ahead.
















So, there's some acephobia for you. It exists. Typical erasure sort of stuff. That's just the stuff I remembered to screenshot and of course, this only covers online acephobia. It happens a lot. It's not cool. That's pretty much all I have to say on the matter. Don't be like these people. I'll try and get some more positive asexual posts up...but I promise nothing! G'night!










2 comments:

  1. Wow...some people really are narrow minded! I'm really surprised at how common acephobia is, and it's just awful :( I don't understand why acephobia isn't classed as a hate crime as homosexuality is. Some of those comments are just plain evil :(

    I get the opposite. People in my age group assume that i (I quote) "must be one of these asexuals" because I don't date. I don't date, because I haven't met the right person yet. Clearly awareness and respect of asexuals and acephobia is lacking and right back in the 1950s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that acephobia will become less common as awareness about asexuality spreads but logically, I know a lot of people revel in their ignorance, they think it makes them edgy to pick on people online. I've mostly learned to deal with it now but it's not great that people think they can say these things because it's wrong. See, that's a similar situation. Anyone of a certain age, asexual or not, "should" be in a relationship or sleeping around. If you're not for any reason, you're marked out as different. No one ever guesses that maybe people avoid relationships or sex out of choice, it always goes back to "There's something wrong with you" or "Haha, you're just so ugly no one wants you" (ironically, people say this to me directly after they say I'm hot and ask if I want to hook up and I decline because y'know, asexual). It gets tiresome. No one should be pushed, we should be free to live life at our own pace and do the things we want to.

      Delete